Handpainting Protein Fibers
Dyeing your own yarn or roving is a whole new level of excitement! There are many methods to getting luscious color onto your fibers, and this class will concentrate on hand-painting dye onto your roving or spun yarn. We will use protein fibers and Jacquard Acid dyes, however the techniques you will learn will transfer to any protein fiber and dye you wish to use.
Supplies to bring to class:
Notebook, pencil, full apron, latex or vinyl gloves, dust mask, 3-pint jars with tight fitting lids, 3-one inch sponge brushes OR large stencil brushes, 2 ounces of natural (undyed) wool yarn wound into a large skein and tied in at least 3 loose figure eight ties OR, bring 2 ounces of natural protein based roving.
A completed supply list will be sent one week prior to the class.
COST of the class is $45 plus a dye supply fee of $7.00
1. Dyes - acid leveling dyes, spectrum format, dye properties
2. Proper preparation and safety precautions
3. A little about color theory - Choosing colors - complements, triads, split complements and other great combinations; monochromatic color schemes
4. Preparing dye stock solutions
5. Using scales
6. Proper mixing procedures
7. Testing colors
1. Preparing skeins, roving
2. How to correctly "wet-out" fibers
PREPARING THE WORKSPACE FOR PAINTING
SETTING THE DYES
UNDERSTANDING DEPTH OF COLOR
KEEPING A DYE NOTEBOOK
Tips on spinning multicolored rovings to get the look you want.